web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It's A Boy!

Yup. Our elephant has finally had her baby!

He was born on Sunday, October 1st at 445 am (yes, a.m.!) He also weighs a whopping 384 pounds! He is nursing and doing great. This is Shanti's second calf. Her first one died after a few months. Shanti is taking exceptional care of the baby and he's extremely precocious. If you would like to read about all the blood, sweat and tears that went into making this a successful birth go to this website. There are also some wonderful pictures on Mom and baby. The calf is, as yet, unnamed. Just like with the baby giraffe, we are allowing the public to vote on which name they like best. Keep checking the zoo's website and vote for your favorite name!

(photo is from the zoo's Elephant blog.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Knatolee said...

Wow... the (Indian) elephant in my blogger photo was named Shanti as well. I met her in Sri Lanka.

I think they are the most amazing animals. What an adorable baby.

7:53 AM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Elephants have really long gestation periods don't they? I hope Shanti thrives...

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home