web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Monday, October 09, 2006

The Lion has Landed!

Whew! It's been a crazy day! When I showed up at work this morning there was a truck/trailer backed up to the clinic. On the side were various things referring to exotic animal rescue and I saw it was from Colorado. I had to go check it out. Why, you may ask? Because we were expecting our new lion today! And he's coming from a sanctuary in Colorado. (I apologize profusely because I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the sanctuary. I will post it as soon as I look it up!)

Jonathan is now hanging out in quarantine. He'll probably be there for about a month and then we'll introduce him to our two girls. :) He's six years old and had been at the sanctuary for 3 years. When Bruno died we started searching for another male lion. It took several months but we finally found one that we all liked and wanted. Better yet, he's laid back and doesn't appear to have any behavioral problems. He started off as someone's pet in Washington State. He was housed with a female tiger in a not so safe/secure quarters in the backyard. The woman was finally told that she could not keep them and the authorities contacted the sanctuary and asked if they would take them. They said yes and he moved to Colorado. Now, he's acclimating to Texas. Luckily we're entering our "cold" season so he shouldn't pass out from heat stroke. ;) We'll be going up to the quarantine area every day we can on our way home from work. Due to quarantine restrictions we cannot go visit Jonathan (or any other animal in quarantine) and then go back to our areas. We have to go home afterwards.

Isn't he handsome?

3 Comments:

Blogger Crowzma said...

Hoofstock, shmoofstock ... ohmigod, he's gorgeous!!

And here I am with nothin' worth bartering, except I've been cabling since I was knee high to a baby giraffe.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, it's been awhile! Congrats on both your new additions!! Jonathan was at the Wildlife Sanctuary at the Rocky Mountain Wildlife Conservation Center. He is very handsome! I went to see the center about a year ago - unfortuately they are closing there doors, I'm really glad he found such a good home!

Ashlie

10:35 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Thank you Ashlie! I'll post it in a post later today or tomorrow, along with their website address.

I still have that Tiga painting for you...and a few others. I promise to get them in the mail to you soon! Could you email me you mailing address again? I think I lost it... (PS We're looking for a vet tech...Tricia left... She's going to volunteer in carnivores though, soon.)

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home