web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Darcy's Last Day...

I wanted to let everyone know that Darcy passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon around 430. She had four people in the room with her - Me, my friend Beth, the vet and the vet tech. At no point was there no one touching her. Thank you to everyone who sent her good thoughts, prayers, zen, white light, whatever you want to call it, for a peaceful passing. That is exactly what she got. She simply went to sleep. I hope I go so well.

Prior to her final vet visit, Darcy, Beth and myself all went to a local park. It is fairly large and one part has a lake with a path around it and ducks. It's surrounded by lots of open, grassy area with trees scattered around it. The three of us went and sat down under a tree and spent an hour just enjoying life and talking. At one point, a duck decided to come check us out...up until Darcy sat up and the duck realized that there was a *dog* there too. :) She really seemed to enjoy her time out there with us in the fresh air and the sunshine.

When the time came, we drove up to the clinic. We arrived a little early and had to sit in the waiting room for a short while. In the waiting room with us was a gentleman with a young boy holding a dachsund puppy. (side note: that puppy has got to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen. :)). (I'm pretty certain that they did not speak English so most likely did not know exactly what we were there for). The boy seemed a little afraid of Darcy and stood near his dad. After a short while though, he got brave and came over to an open area near us (still holding the adorable puppy). He set the puppy down on the floor and the puppy, being a puppy, immediately headed straight towards us to check us out.

Now, the waiting area is not that big so the puppy didn't have to go very far. He started checking out my shoes and allowed me to pet him (he was *very* soft by the way!) Then the puppy decided to also check out Darcy. Darcy didn't mind a bit (she always got along well with other dogs she met while in my care). In fact, at one point, she turned her head to look at the puppy and they touched noses. It was very very cute. The little boy, meanwhile, is near us, watching us and the puppy. I looked at him and asked him if he wanted to pet Darcy. I also mimed it - pointing to him and then petting Darcy. He nodded and I told him he could (and smiled and nodded to him). He gave her some really gentle pets and then just sat near us. Shortly after that we were called into the exam room and he picked up the puppy and went back to stand near his dad.

Now, I have no idea why that little boy did what he did. I do know our body language said we were sad about something. Whether he picked up on that and decided to do something to help or if he was just a very friendly (and polite) little boy who wanted to meet Darcy I don't know. But I am glad he did. He definitely made the time in the waiting room so much easier and I appreciated it. And, obviously, language was not a barrier here. There truly are angels among us. I wish him, his family and his puppy well.

Sleep well, Darcy. And wake up healthy and strong. And remember, You Are Loved.
1995 - June 27, 2007

1 Comments:

Blogger Debra Stansbury said...

I feel as though the world is shrinking, yet again.

One of the ladies in my Writer's Group just had to say goodbye to her dog of 16 years, and another friend's family had to say goodbye to their black lab of 12+ years as well.

I am happy that all three dogs had someone(s) with them for their final moments in this life.

:hug:

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home