web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Giraffes and Baseball

It's a girl! The zoo had a baby giraffe born Tuesday afternoon. And is she ever cute! We are having a naming contest for her. If you would like to vote for your favorite name, click here. For those interested - she weighed a whopping 143 pounds and stood 5' 11" at birth! The above website also has some extremely cute pictures of the new addition! :) (sorry for the poor picture quality on this picture...I had to use my camera phone! Go to the website to see better pics!)

Now for the baseball!

The Astros have teamed up with Saving Animals. They've agreed to do a calendar showing various Astros players with several animals currently in foster care. This will be a fundraiser and is something that other teams have done as well (the Seattle Mariners come to mind). The photo shoot is Monday. So far it looks like I'll be working from 630 to 1030 a.m. and then running home to grab the foster kitties and heading up to Minute Maid Park. We can start arriving with the animals around noon and the photo shoot will start around 2 p.m. This was all thrown together with very short notice. I have to thank my supervisor for being willing to let me have the time off. I figured I had to at least ask for the time off. It's not like this is something that gets offered every day! :) Though one of the guys that works for Saving Animals (both at the clinic and at the adoption center) did offer to meet me at the zoo at (the incredibly early time of) 6 ish on Monday morning if I couldn't get the time off. Talk about dedication! At least the kitties would have been able to go if I couldn't have gotten the time off. Thanks Max! (and I'll keep that offer in mind for future events!)

So, everyone, keep your eyes on this spot - I'll post the purchase info here as soon as I know! :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Crowzma said...

Ok, ok ... I'll foster. You can send that baby giraffe to me at the usual shipping address.

Will second cut hay do, or do I have to plant a Baobob tree or something?

7:24 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Alas, Ginny...Momma Giraffe is taking excellent care of her. Plus, the hoofstock staff would kill me. :)

If any of the above changes, however, you will be the first one I call! And second cut hay should be fine though I'm sure she would LOVE a Baobob or Acacia tree! :) Just think, if you had a giraffe you wouldn't ever have to trim your trees again!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Speaking of which, I'd love to sit here and knit, and plan my Baobob garden, but I have trees to prune and weeds to wack ... gotta have at it.

"Hoofstock staff." I love the name. I think I missed my calling as the best part of yesterday was the 30 minutes I spent cleaning and treating the kick wound on my horse (I HATE the new boarder, mean SOB!)

7:35 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

It's never to late to change careers Ginny! You too could take care of giraffes! :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Hmmm ... ok, my first step was to enter the giraffe naming contest ... we'll see.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Oooo!!! CUtie!

The Greater Vancouver Zoo just managed to let their new baby giraffe die. There's a reason they lost their accreditation. I refuse to visit that zoo!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Congrats on the new addition Suz! In Denver a few years back they had a baby giraffe they named after your favorite aunt - Jill! :)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

jjzCongrats on the new addition Suz! In Denver a few years back they had a baby giraffe they named after your favorite aunt - Jill! :)

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home