web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I finally got the hint (I think)....

For the past few months I would come home from work and find that somebody (not sure who) had opened the yarn drawer, dug out a ball of yarn, and spread it around the living room. Not every day, just every now and then. And, while I don't know for sure who it is, I'm pretty sure who it is not - Tori and Boomer. This is one of the few times she is not on the suspect list. Why, you may ask? Because Tori is in her crate whenever I am not home - we won't discuss what she does when she's out while I'm gone. Suffice it to say that it was never spreading yarn around the room - she's much more destructive than that. :) And Boomer is in his cage. And if he weren't in his cage, he, also, would not be spreading yarn around the room.

So, process of elimination (and knowing the personalities of the remaining suspects), I figured Zoey, my almost 3 year old cat, was the culprit. I have no idea how she's managing to open the drawer but I'm pretty certain it's her. And it's only the natural fiber yarn (mostly wool, one time cotton) that she's pulling out. And it's only one ball of yarn (though not the same one) each time. I figured she was attracted by the smell of the yarn and resolved to put something heavy in front of that drawer. Well, every now and then, I would still come in and find a ball of yarn had managed to jump out of the drawer and spread itself around the room. At this point I'm starting to think she may be getting some help...She's not that big and doesn't weigh that much.

So, I just resolved to be more careful about making sure the heavy item was directly in front of the drawer and left it at that...

Until....One evening I was making dinner and saw this:




Now, how sad is that. She only has a cardboard box to sit in...no bed of her own (we won't discuss the dog beds scattered around the house, the double bed in the guest room, the queen size bed in the bedroom or the couch. )

So, I decided to knit her a bed. I'm using the Kitty Pi pattern and using some Knit Picks Sierra (gray and pink) that I had in my stash (no, not the yarn she kept removing....I don't have enough of that yarn to make the bed...). Since I don't have any DPN's larger than 10.5, I'm starting with those and will switch to a larger size when I change to circulars. I'm going to add some fun fur to the top, too, though I'm not sure which one yet.

Here's what I've done so far....



















Who knew...Apparently she's been trying to tell me to knit her a bed and I was just too dense to pick up on it until she was seen sitting in a cardboard box...Now watch, she'll tell me I didn't use the yarn she wanted so she's not going to use it...:) You just gotta love cats, don't ya! :)

No, she's not spoiled at all...and yes, I will be making a second one for Tom, my other cat. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Bed or not, I bet Zoe STILL likes to sit in Cardboard boxes. My cat (long gone but missed) used to like to climb inside boxes.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home