web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Saturday, May 20, 2006

And the xray results are in...

The xrays are back and Barbaro has a fracture above and below the ankle of his right hind leg. This is a very serious injury and is most likely career ending. It could also possibly be life threatening. Fractures are hard to heal in horses. It's very hard to keep them quiet for the length of time necessary to heal a break. Barbaro is headed into surgery as I type this. Here are a few websites on fractures in horses:

Emergency First Aid for Equine Fractures


Emergency First Aid Treatment

Practical Approaches to Fracture Treatment

Fatal Breakdowns - this is a news article that was written in 1998 but the information is still relevent.

The treatment of fractures in horses has improved significantly over the past several years. However, the challenge of keeping such an animal as a racehorse quiet for a lengthy period of time is still there.

Good luck Barbaro. We're thinking of you. I hope I can post better news on Barbaro as the days pass.

PS Here's a news article from the Houston Chronicle with some more information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home