web page hit counters
Dell PC

My Life Is A Zoo

This is where I will post interesting (or not so interesting) things that happen in my life. The subject matter will include any random things that I decide to put in (including animals, my work, my hobbies and my family).

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Triple Crown? Maybe...

I just finished watching the Kentucky Derby, first jewel in the Triple Crown (for those of you who don't follow horse racing the triple crown is made up of 3 races - The Kentucky Derby (1 1/4 miles), The Preakness (1 3/16 miles) and The Belmont Stakes (1 1/2 mils) - all 3 of these races are long and tough and very few horses have won all 3). The Derby is also a colt and gelding race and is open to 3 year olds. The fillies run in The Kentucky Oaks - which is run the day before the Derby. The winner of this year's Kentucky Oaks is Lemon's Forever.

Anyways, the winner of this year's Derby is Barbaro - trained by Michael Matz (some of you may know him from showjumping) and ridden by Edgar Prado. This is Michael Matz's first Derby entrant and is Edgar Prado's first Derby winner. Will he be able to win all three races? Who knows. Only 11 horses have won all three. All I know is I'll be watching the Preakness and The Belmont and cheering Barbaro on!

Congratulations Barbaro, Michael, Edgar and his breeders and owners! I look forward to watching him run in the Preakness on May 20th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home